Parents should set and enforce rules for home Internet use
- Have computer in a common room
- Time limit on Internet, instant messaging, social networking sites, online gaming, etc.
- Parents should ask and know student’s personal username and password
- Have a curfew for computer use. Place the computer in a common area to charge overnight.
Suggestions concerning e-mail
- Parents should have access to students’ e-mail
- Threatening e-mail should never be sent
- Attachments bring danger of viruses
- Spam=Junk mail=Don’t reply
Social networking sites
- Students will not have access to social networking sites on district devices
General Internet Activity
- Never give out personal information, even seemingly innocent and unimportant info
- Never make online purchases without parent permission/supervision